If you have ever imagined how to practice free current affair past questions and answers for fun, job interviews, scholarship examinations or politics aptitude test, this article is for you.
This page contains Nigeria and general current affairs questions and answers up to 2017. Happy reading….
UP TO DATE CURRENT AFFAIRS
1 Who was the first woman to be a pilot? Answers: Mrs. Chinyere Onyemucheya.
2. Who was the first woman to drive a car? Answers: Mrs. Olufunmiloyo Ramsome Kuti
3. Who was the first woman to be a Judge in Nigeria? Answers: Mrs. Rosemary Ukeje.
4. Who was the first Nigerian to speak a foreign language? Answers: Obi Esigie of Benin.
5. Who is the youngest Governor to rule in Nigeria Answers: Chukwuebuka is the youngest Governor to rule in Nigeria. He ruled at the age of 16 in Lagos State after wining the competition set by the Governor’s wife in Lagos State students on the 6th June 2001.
6. Who was the youngest Judge in the whole world? Answers: John Payton.
7. What is the name of the oldest bride in the world? Answers: Minnie Munro. She married at the age of 102 in point Clare, NSW, Australia.
8. What is the name of the oldest groom in the world? Answers: Harry Stevens. He married 81-year-old Thelma Lucas at the Caravilla retirement Home at the age of 103.
9. Who formed the first political party in Nigeria? Answer: Herbert Macauly
10. What does the eagle in the Nigerian coat of arm represent? Answer: Strength
PART 2: NIGERIA GOVERNMENT CURRENT AFFAIRS
- Traditional rulers were restricted to ceremonia
l rules by the local government reforms of
a. 1966 b. 1976 c. 1984 d.1987
- A parliamentary system, who ensures that member
s are in the house to vote on major issues
a. Party leaders
b. Speaker of the House
c. Clerk of the House
- A system in which no single person serves as the
chief executive is known as a.
Republican b. Revolutionary
c. Collegial d. Parliamentary
- A social system in which power is derived from c
ontrol over land is called
a. Oligarchy b. Feudalism
c. Socialism d. Welfarism
- Rule of Law refers to situation in which
a. Lawyers are the rulers
b. Laws are supreme
c. The judiciary is independent
d. Parliament makes laws
- An important principle of the civil service is
a. Authoritarianism b. Anonymity
c. Nepotism d. Partisanship
- Which of these constitution recognized local go
vernment as the third tier of government
a. The 1946 Constitution
b. The 1960 constitution
c. The 1963 constitution
d. the 1979 constitution
- A condition for judicial independence is the app
ointment of judges by the
a. Civil service commission
b. Judicial service Commission
c. Low Review Commission
d. The 1979 constitution
- The minorities Commission appointed in Nigeria i
n 1957 recommend that
a. More states should be created in the federation
b. No more states should created before independence
c. Nigeria should revert to a unitary structure
d. the legislature should Legislate for the minority areas
e the minorities should constitute one state
The second military coup detaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t in Nigeria took place on
a January 15, 1966 b. October 1, 1966
c. July 29, 1966 d. July 29, 1975
e. February 13, 1976
- One of these was in existence before the outbreak of the second world war
a. The OAU b. The League of Nations
c. The UNO
d. The Commonwealth of Nations
- An important advantage of creating more constit
ution in a federal state is to
a. Enhance the PeopleÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s participation
b. Enable ambitious Politicians gain political power
c. Make the states gain more power from the federal
d. Curb the excess of the federal government
- Under the Presidential system
a. The party with the majority of seat forms the Ex
b. There is the principle of collective responsibility
c. The president may come from any of the parties
d. The states take instruction from the federal government
- Public opinion is important because it
a. Tells government what action it must take
b. Lets government know what the people want
c. Allows Police to manage crisis
d. Mothers the minorities in resource lean areas
e. Guarantees peopleÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s freedom and rights
Bicameral legislature exists
a. Where two cameras are used to monitor court proceedings
b. To prevent the concentration of power on legislative house
c. To provide jobs for more politicians
d. To ensure that just laws are passed
Africans were first elected to the legislative
council in British West Africa in a. Ghana b. Sierra Leone
c. The Gambia d. Nigeria
- One of the functions of the Ministry of external affairs is the
a. Deportation of illegal aliens
b. Issuance of Passports
c. Defence of the CountryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Borders
d. Promotion of national interests
- The leader of the Northern PeopleÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s congress was
a. Yakubu Maitama Sule
b. AbubakarTafawa Balewa
c. Aminu Kano
d. Ahmadu Bello
- The idea of democracy started with the
a. Romans b. Pensions d. Egyptians
- In the Marxist theory, those who live by sellin
g their labour are called
a. Bourgeoisie b. Proletariats c. Feudal lords d. Slaves
- Which of the following is NOT an acceptable means of achieving democracy?
a. Referendum b. Recall
c. Initiative d. Riots
22 The branch of government responsible for implementing laws is the
a. Executives b. Legislature d. Police
- In a democracy, sovereignty is vested in
a. The community b. Public officials
c. Judges d. The head of State e. The Legislature
24. Universal Adult Suffrage means all
a. Adult citizens can vote
b. Citizens vote
c. Qualified citizens can vote
d. Literate citizens can vote
e. Adult males can vote
25. A bill that applies to the whole population and
is intended to promote the general welfare is called
a. A private bill
b. A decree
c. An Appropriation bill
d. A public deal
e. An edict
PART 3: WHAT IS NIGERIA AND IT’S HISTORY
Nigeria is a country which has the highest population in Africa continent.
Which is proved by the 21st to 25th March, 2006 population census.
Nigeria’s population was estimated to be about 140,000,000 people.(One hundred and forty Million)
Nigeria, which is officially known as The Federal Republic of Nigeria, stands as a boarder,
Benin Republic on the west,
Cameroon on the east,
Gulf of Guinea on the south,
Niger to the north.
Currently, Nigeria is made up of 36 STATES and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
With 109 senatorial districts,
360 federal constituencies,
990 state constituencies,
774 local governments,
These are the names of Nigeria former colonial masters. They are:
- Sir Frederick Lord Lugard,
who ruled from 1900 to 1919.
- Sir Hugh Clifford, Who ruled from 1919 to 1925.
- Sir Creamer Thompson, who ruled from 1925 to 1931.
- Sir Donald Cameroon, who ruled from 1931 to 1935.
- Sir Bernard Bourdilion. who ruled from 1935 to 1943.
- Sir Anthony Richard. Who ruled from 1943to 1948.
- Sir John McPherson. Who ruled from 1948 to 1958.
- Sir James Robertson. Who ruled from 1958 to 1960.
The Nigeria first indigenous Governor General and also the first Ceremonial President is:
Dr Nnamdi Azikwe.
The first prime minister in Nigeria is:
Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa.
The first millitary head of state in Nigeria is:
General Aguiyi Ironsi.
The first executive President of Nigeria is:
Alhaji Shehu Shagari.
The first military president in Nigeria is:
General Ibrahim Babangida.
PART 4: FACTS AND QUESTIONS ABOUT NIGERIA
#1. Mention the new service chiefs in Nigeria
Answer: General Abayomi Gabriel Olonishakin- Chief of Defence Staff;
Lt-General T.Y. Buratai- Chief of Army Staff;
Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas- Chief of Naval Staff;
Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar – Chief of Air Staff
#2. Who is the current INEC chairman?
Answer: Mahmud Yakubu
#3. Who is the current NAFDAC Director General?
Answer: Paul Orhii
#4. Who is the current Inspector General of police?
Answer: IGP Solomon Arase
#5. Current chairman of the African Union
Answer: Robert Mugabe
#6. Who is the secretary General of the united nations
Answer: Ban Ki-Moon
#7. Who is the current minister of education?
Answer: Anthony Onwuka
#8. Mention five rivers in Nigeria that share their names with a state.
Answer: Rivers- Benue, Niger, Osun, Kaduna, Ogun, Sokoto, Cross River, Imo
#9. What was the first political party in Nigeria?
Answer: Nigerian National Democratic party (NNDP)
#10. Who is the current president of Nigeria?
Answer: Muhammadu Buhari
#11. Who is the current vice president of Nigeria?
Answer: Yemi Osibajo
#12. What does the eagle in the Nigerian coat of arm represent?
#13. Mention 5 past senate presidents of Nigeria.
Answer: Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, Evan Enwerem, Chuba Okadigbo, Anyim Pius Anyim, Adolphus Wabara, Ken Nnamani, David Mark.
#14. What do the two horses on the Nigerian coat of arm represent?
#14. What was the black shield in the Nigerian coat of arm stand for?
Answer: Nigerian’s fertile soil
#16. What does the white colour in Nigerian flag stand for?
#17. What does the green colour in Nigerian flag represent?
Answer: Forests and abundant natural wealth of Nigeria
#18. Who is the current minister of finance?
Answer: Kemi Adeosun
#19. Who is the current minister of defence?
Answer: Monsur Dan-Ali
#20. Nigeria is divided into how many geopolitical zones?
Answer: Six (6) geopolitical zones
#21. What was the first capital city in Nigeria?
#22. Who is the current minister of FCT?
Answer: Muhammadu Bello
#23. Who is the current Nigerian Deputy Senate president?
Answer: Senator Ike Ekweremadu
#24. When did Nigerian Golden eaglets win the world under-17 FIFA world cup
Answer: 1985, 1993, 2007, 2013, 2015
#25. Who gave Nigeria her name:
Answer: Flora Shaw
#26. Who designed the Nigerian flag?
Answer: Michael Taiwo Akinkunmi
#27. Which country won the last world cup?
#28. Who was the first man to buy a car in Nigeria?
Answer: Bob Jensen
#29. Who was the first woman to drive a car in Nigeria?
Answer: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti
#30. What is the first TV station in Nigeria?
Answer: Western Nigerian Government Broadcasting Corporation (WNTV) in 1959
#31. Who is the current CBN Governor?
Answer: Godwin Emefiele
#32. Where was crude oil first discovered in Nigeria?
Answer: Oloibiri Oilfield, located in Oloibiri in Ogbia LGA of Bayelsa State
#33. Who was the first Nigerian to become a Noble Laureate?
Answer: Wole Soyinka
#34. Who is the Nigerian current speaker of house of Assembly?
Answer: Yakubu Dogara
#35. Who is the minister for petroleum resources in Nigeria?
Answer: President Muhammudu Buhari
#36. Who is the current chief justice of Nigeria?
Answer: Mahmoud Mohammed.
#37. When was the Nigerian Naira introduced?
Answer: 1st January 1973
#38. When was the first military coup carried out in Nigeria?
#39. How many local Government do we have in Nigeria?
#40. Who is the first Nigerian president?
Answer: Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe
#41. Who was Nigerian first executive president?
Answer: Alhaji Shehu Aliyu Shagari
#42. Who was the Nigerian first prime minister?
Answer: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa
#43. What is the largest continent in the world?
Answer: ASIA with population of 3,641,000,000 while Australia & Oceania is the smallest continent
#44. What are the five Oceans in the world?
Answer: Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean, Southern Ocean, Arctic Ocean.